[Milton-L] Fallen vs. Unfallen Sex

Hannibal Hamlin hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 17:51:41 EDT 2011

I think the classic art historical work here is Kenneth Clark's *The Nude: A
Study in Ideal Form*, isn't it? The distinction is interesting but tenuous.
Several years ago I advertized a Milton course with Masaccio's
*Expulsion*from the Brancacci Chapel -- which seemed to me (and stil
does) a powerful
painting and interesting in its contrast with Milton's expulsion scene. It
hadn't occurred to me that the nude Adam and Eve were also naked, but a
student accused me of spreading pornography on campus. I say tomato . . . .

Hannibal

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 5:39 PM, Carol Barton <cbartonphd1 at verizon.net>wrote:

> I think the distinction between fallen and unfallen sex might be
> easier for women to comprehend, Richard (and that's
> not--intentionally--a sexist comment). There is a real distinction for
> most women between making love (unfallen sex, if you will) and the
> sort of wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am engagement that occurs between casual
> partners (or those involved in a retail relationship).
>
> Nudity and nakedness are different? I had no idea . . . but with a
> heat index of 102F and climbing (around 35C for those who don't
> Fahrenheit) I think I'd welcome being either one . . .
>
> Best to all,
>
> Carol Barton

Hannibal Hamlin
Associate Professor of English
Editor, *Reformation*
Co-curator, *Manifold Greatness: The Creation and Afterlife of the King
James Bible*
http://www.manifoldgreatness.org/
The Ohio State University
164 West 17th Ave., 421 Denney Hall