[Milton-L] "erotic" versus

richard strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 20 17:17:28 EDT 2011

So how is a viewer who is sexually attracted to (some) women (and perhaps
[some] men as well) to react to a painting of a mythological erotic scene by, say,
Titian?  Do we want to have a "relationship" with Danae?  Does the painting
inspire a "desire for companionship"?  Do we care about her "as a person"?

And if the answer to these questions is "no," does it mean that we are to be
condemned, or that the painting is?

As Leonard Barkan has pointed out, masturbating on statues has an ancient
lineage.  (If you ask me whether anyone has masturbated while reading PL, I
would say, "I dont know, but I hope so."