[Milton-L] It's Confirmed!

Alberto Cacicedo alc at mac.com
Wed Jul 20 16:53:56 EDT 2011

By chance the current issue of Newsweek has an article, "The John Next Door," that treats the question of pornography together with prostitution.  That's lumping categories together, I think.  The article calls participants in either category "sex buyers," and reports that the "buyers" are more prone to violence, rape, etc.--generally an objectification of the object of desire.  The article reports on a study, "Comparing Sex Buyers with Men Who Don't Buy Sex," by Melissa Farley, director of Prostitution Research and Education, associated with the San Francisco Women's Center.  The article does not make clear whether there are distinctions to be made between consumers of pornography and consumers of prostitution, probably an important difference.  On the other hand, I remember my male-centered surprise when, married for less than a year, my wife told me that she hated getting off the bus at night because on the corner of the bus stop there was a store that sold pornographic magazines.  She always felt potentially endangered by what might, or rather would be going through the minds of the browsers of those magazines.  Pornography produces such fear, but the erotic does not.  Maybe that's a way of distinguishing the erotic from the pornographic:  pornography elicits desire to assault an object, potentially at least, where the erotic elicits a desire for companionship with a person.  No doubt there's a large element of viewer's/reader's response at issue, though.