[Milton-L] It's Confirmed!

richard strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 20 15:51:06 EDT 2011

Well, I don't hold the view (which some philosophers--e.g. Roger Scruton) hold
that great art can't be erotically stimulating.  Seems like a silly view.  Lots of
great Renaissance art is very sexy.  MIlton insists -- surely with his male readers
in mind (but not only, of course) -- on Eve's gorgeousness and her absolute
nakedness. No reason for us, or her, to feel ashamed, and no reason for us (or
her, or Adam) not to feel erotically aroused.

And, to say something that will surely invite/incite some responses, I think the
supposed contrast between the fallen and unfallen sex of A and E to be quite
unconvincing.

And, finally, I think the supposed distinction between nudity and nakedness
(Kenneth Clark) also to be bogus (let's all pretend to be very high-minded!).