[Milton-L] It's Confirmed!

Mitchell M. Harris mitchell.harris at augie.edu
Wed Jul 20 15:36:25 EDT 2011

Dr. Strier, would you argue that PL is pornographic before the fall?
I've always thought that Milton was following a conventional patristic
argument that Augustine made against Jerome in defending the notion of
prelapsarian sex--thus drawing a middle line between Jerome and
Jovinian in debates on the role of human sexuality in prelapsarian
Eden. I would certainly see the sex scene after the fall as being
pornographic--Milton goes out of his way to make us feel as
uncomfortable as Adam and Eve feel about the act. But I've always
thought that the prelapsarian scenes are natural and untitillating,
which, paradoxically, is provocative in its own right.

Best,
	Mitch Harris