[Milton-L] It's Confirmed!

richard strier rastrier at uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 20 15:13:55 EDT 2011

Absolutely right about the necessity for non-self-conscious nakedness.  After
all, PL is one of the great pornographic works of all time.  The audience might
begin by leering and tittering, but, as at nude beaches, the lack of pretense
would affect the experience after a while.  And if we titter, so what?  We're fallen,
they're not (for most of the Eden scenes).  And sometimes, as Milton thought, we
can transcend our fallenness.