[Milton-L] It's Confirmed!

Gregory Machacek Gregory.Machacek at marist.edu
Wed Jul 20 13:12:22 EDT 2011

The article ends with the following witticism: "Casting for Adam and Eve
wasn’t immediately announced, but one assumes that costumes won’t be a
problem."

As I've anticipated this movie, I've thought that it will be precisely Adam
and Eve's (lack of) costumes that will be the film's biggest problem.  To
be done properly, the film would need its two leads to be naked, with no
self-consciousness about the fact, for large stretches of screen time--and
an audience that can observe such full frontal nudity without leering or
tittering.  I don't believe it can be pulled off in a Hollywood
blockbuster.

Austin-Powers-esque hiding of private parts behind items in the foreground
will quickly become tiresome.

Of course, all previous reports about the movie suggest that it focuses on
the war in Heaven, so the whole "man's first disobedience" plotline will
probably be reduced to an insignificant appendage.

Greg Machacek
Professor of English
Marist College