[Milton-L] PL 575 (075)

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 18 18:24:36 EDT 2011

Ingibjorg Elsa Bjornsdottir sent me a pdf of her poem, so I've pasted and posted
it and the translation further below for the convenience of others.

One part puzzles me:
The aging Galileo
>sits and observes
>the look in the eyes
>of the young Milton
>which looks at him
>enquiringly.
First, a grammar question: Is "which looks" really meant, i.e., does "which"
refer back to "the look"? I read the reference to be "the eyes," in which case,
"which look" would be correct.

Second, I'd alway understood that Galileo was blind when Milton met him. Have I
been mistaken on that?

I also wonder about this:
and it slows down as
>it finds itself closer to the speed of light...
This is Einstein's theory, of course, so what function does it play in this poem
about Galileo and Milton?

These two things (also the grammar point) puzzle me, but -- just to be
clear -- I enjoyed the poem.

Jeffery Hodges

Milton og Galileo

Öldungurinn Galileo
situr og horfir
Í augu hins unga
Miltons
sem horfir
á hann
spyrjandi.
Fyrir utan gluggann
hringja
kirkjuklukkurnar
Í Flórens.
Hlátur ungrar stúlku
og skellir í hestshófum
berast með blænum.
Galileo
tekur fram sjónaukann
og segir við Milton:
Tungl Júpíters
snúast ekki í kringum
jörðina
og ekki heldur
í kringum sólina,
heldur í kringum
Júpíter sjálfan
sem sýnir að
heimsmynd okkar
er röng...
og gangverkið gengur
áfram
eins og klukka
sem gengur
aftur á bak
á afstæðan
hátt...
og hægir á sér
þegar hún nálgast ljóshraða.
Milton andar
djúpt
og hugsar
um Paradísar-
missi,
og skakka
turninn
í Pisa.

Milton and Galileo

The aging Galileo
sits and observes
the look in the eyes
of the young Milton
which looks at him
enquiringly.
Beneath the window
the church bells
in Florence
chime.
The laughter of a young woman,
the sounds of hoofs on hard stone,
are carried with the wind.
Galileo
strokes his telescope
and says to Milton:
The Moons of Jupiter
do not revolve
around the Earth
nor
around the Sun,
but around
Jupiter himself,
which shows
that our view of the cosmos
is wrong...
and the structure keeps on moving
forwards
like a clock
moving
backwards
in a relative
way...
and it slows down as
it finds itself closer to the speed of light...
Milton breathes
deeply
and thinks about
how Paradise