[Milton-L] PL 575 (075)

Watt, James jwatt at butler.edu
Mon Jul 18 17:30:20 EDT 2011

 Cheers fellow Miltonians:

Dario got me searching out the passage and then my muse took over. I send you the results hoping they give a little pleasure to you all:

‘This delicious place’ [Paradise Lost, 4:729]

‘Like one of us,’ Milton has God complaining, ‘Man is become
To know both Good and Evil.’ So even God has to turn to words
When everything else turns to shit. No one in his audience seems
Especially convinced since the poet records no Selahs! or Amens!
The congregation of Heaven appears as bored and indifferent
As a high white church of stockholders and investment bankers
On a too hot day in August. No arguments sully the lillywhite air,
And Michael accepts the divine charge to hustle down & repossess
Paradise while introducing the human race to mosquitoes & malaria.
What’s really happened is that men and women have discovered
That their language is as like to divide and confuse as liberate them,
And it isn’t knowing Good and Evil that separates them from the rest
Of creation so much as their everlasting capacity to talk & talk & talk.
Talk, in fact, like the God they have invented, while seeking a lawyerly
Way out of their fix. Making rules with fine print to keep the curious
>From asking why salvation is such a good deal in a world like this,
Where grapes and peaches offer themselves freely to anyone & deer
Walk across the grass, fixing those liquid eyes with love upon us all.

Jim Watt