[Milton-L] PL 575 (075)

Ingibjorg Elsa Bjornsdottir ieb at simnet.is
Mon Jul 18 15:21:45 EDT 2011

Dear Milton list,

I just wanted to share with you my poem in Icelandic about Milton and
Galileo.
I do not expect anyone to understand icelandic but someone might.
Just in case I have also attached an English translation which is sufficient
for understanding the general meaning of the poem.
You must excuse the imperfections of my English translation.

The poem is the following in Icelandic and English:

Milton og Galileo                                                    Milton
and Galileo

Öldungurinn Galileo                                                The aging
Galileo
situr og horfir
sits and observes
Í augu hins unga                                                      the
look in the eyes
Miltons
of the young Milton
sem horfir
which
á hann
looks at him
spyrjandi.
enquiringly.

Fyrir utan gluggann
Beneath the window
hringja
the church bells
kirkjuklukkurnar                                                          in
Florence
Í Flórens.
chime.

Hlátur ungrar stúlku                                                    The
laughter of a young woman
og skellir í hestshófum                                                the
sounds of hoofs on hard stone
berast með blænum.                                                    are
carried with the wind.

Galileo
Galileo
tekur fram sjónaukann
strokes his telescope
og segir við Milton:
and says to Milton:
Tungl Júpíters
The Moons of Jupiter
snúast ekki í kringum                                                    do
not revolve
jörðina
around the Earth
og ekki heldur
nor
í kringum sólina,
around the Sun,
heldur í kringum
but around
Júpíter sjálfan
Jupiter himself
sem sýnir að
which shows
heimsmynd okkar
that our view of the cosmos
er röng...
is wrong...

og gangverkið gengur
and the structure keeps on moving
áfram
forwards
eins og klukka
like a clock
sem gengur
moving
aftur á bak
backwards
á afstæðan
in a relative
hátt...
way...

og hægir á sér
and it slows down
þegar hún nálgast ljóshraða.                                            as
it finds itself closer to the speed of light...

Milton andar
Milton breathes
djúpt
deeply
og hugsar
and thinks about
um Paradísar-
how paradise was
missi,
lost,
og skakka
and about the
turninn
crooked tower
í Pisa.
of Pisa.

Hope you will enjoy this even though this is rather simple.

Ingibjorg Elsa Bjornsdottir, M.Sc. and MA student in Translation Studies
University of Iceland
Reykjavik
Iceland