[Milton-L] PL 575 (075)

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 12:13:47 EDT 2011

Yes... Annotations to Sir Joshua Reynolds.

To learn the Language of Art Copy for Ever. is My Rule

If he [Reynolds] means That Copying Correctly is a
hindrance he is a Liar. for that is the only School to the
Language of Art

Reynolds: [Nice copying teaches] exactness and precision, . .
Blake:   Excellent

Much copying discountenanced
To learn the Language of Art Copy for Ever. is My Rule

The difference between a bad Artist & a Good One Is the Bad
Artist Seems to Copy a Great Deal: The Good one Really Does Copy
a Great Deal

Servile Copying is the Great Merit of Copying

Jim R