[Milton-L] Request for help

Bob Blair bblair48 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 3 23:03:15 EDT 2011

Prendergast's Concordance doesn't list the word "err" in any rhyming context:http://books.google.com/books?id=R1sCAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA118

--- On Sun, 7/3/11, Nancy Charlton <nbcharlton at comcast.net> wrote:

From: Nancy Charlton <nbcharlton at comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Request for help
To: "John Milton Discussion List" <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>
Date: Sunday, July 3, 2011, 7:45 PM

    Carrol, Al, Jeffery,

      Try Bartleby.com:   http://www.bartleby.com/40/2801.html

      The whole essay (there weren't more than four books, were there?)
      is here, in separate files.  You click on <NEXT> at the end
      of each.  This is a nice layout, Times Roman type, with line
      numbers.  Bartleby also offers a search facility for individual
      words or terms, a de facto concordance.  It's not the most
      reliable, but it's far ahead of nothing.

      You can go Ctrl+ to increase the type size, and after three
      presses it is much blacker as well as much larger.

      Speaking of Pope, I enjoyed looking at this, which I haven't done
      in awhile, and I have a perhaps-trivial question.  In II, lines
      9-10:

          In doubt his mind or body to prefer;

          Born but to die, and reas’ning but to err;

      "Prefer" is usually pronounced "pree - FUR," at least in
      radio-announcer American.  "Err" should rhyme with it: "UR."  I
      like to pronounce "err" as "air" or "ehr" to correspond to the
      "err" in "error."  The Merriam-Webster website offers both.  I
      vaguely recall something from Milton where "err" has the rhyming
      sound in "error," which is a tad earlier than Pope, so I may be
      thinking of something 16th century.  Would appreciate any insight
      on this.

      Have a fiery Fourth,

      Nancy Charlton