[Milton-L] Request for help

Nancy Charlton nbcharlton at comcast.net
Sun Jul 3 22:45:24 EDT 2011

Carrol, Al, Jeffery,

Try Bartleby.com:   http://www.bartleby.com/40/2801.html

The whole essay (there weren't more than four books, were there?)
is here, in separate files.  You click on <NEXT> at the end of
each.  This is a nice layout, Times Roman type, with line
numbers.  Bartleby also offers a search facility for individual
words or terms, a de facto concordance.  It's not the most
reliable, but it's far ahead of nothing.

You can go Ctrl+ to increase the type size, and after three
presses it is much blacker as well as much larger.

Speaking of Pope, I enjoyed looking at this, which I haven't done
in awhile, and I have a perhaps-trivial question.  In II, lines 9-10:

In doubt his mind or body to prefer;
Born but to die, and reas'ning but to err;

"Prefer" is usually pronounced "pree - FUR," at least in
radio-announcer American.  "Err" should rhyme with it: "UR."  I
like to pronounce "err" as "air" or "ehr" to correspond to the
"err" in "error."  The Merriam-Webster website offers both.  I
vaguely recall something from Milton where "err" has the rhyming
sound in "error," which is a tad earlier than Pope, so I may be
thinking of something 16th century.  Would appreciate any insight
on this.

Have a fiery Fourth,

Nancy Charlton