[Milton-L] Dante and Milton

Salwa Khoddam skhoddam at cox.net
Sun Jan 30 18:19:40 EST 2011

Dario,
I like these Miltonic haikus!
Re your statement about comparing the sinners c.3 in the Inferno and
Milton's depiction of Satan, I believe Satan is more of a hard core
revolutionary and God's Justice does not extend to him because he's so
obdurate. In the Inferno the sinners are driven by God's Justice in a
systematic paradigm of hell where God has the final say, building hell as he
wanted to, and judging the sinners (through Minos) as he wanted to, where
Lucifer is finally captured in frozen ice.  No explanation of what Lucifer
did on earth and how he got in Hell, because Dante is not concerned about
the origin of evil, but with its consequences on individual souls and
nations.  But for the Reformer Milton, Satan is too fierce and must fall and
wander over the earth and continue falling by his own free will.  Of couirse
he is the FATHER of Dante's sinners, the anti-type of evil, more dangerous
and frightful--two different mythopoeic pictures of Hell and Satan, one
Catholic and one Miltonic.
But you know all these things.....
Salwa

Salwa Khoddam, Ph.D.