[Milton-L] Satan and Resentment / A 2nd conjecture (edited)

Dario Rivarossa dario.rivarossa at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 05:27:10 EST 2011

A different hint. Milton's Satan may have been partially inspired by
the damned souls in Dante's Inferno (c. 3), who are "ready, eager" to
reach their place of eternal suffering:

People I saw on a great river's bank;
Whence said I: "Master, now vouchsafe to me,
That I may know who these are, and what law
Makes them appear so ready to pass over..."

Virgil will explain it to Dante as follows:

"And ready are they to pass o'er the river,
Because celestial Justice spurs them on,
So that their fear is turned into desire."

So, it is God's Justice the force that "spurs them on"... What about Satan?