[Milton-L] Satan and Resentment

Dario Rivarossa dario.rivarossa at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 02:16:57 EST 2011

>what of the Son?

Michelle is right: the true problem, with Milton's Satan, is the Son.
I would not say that He is "created", as she does, anyway He does not
belong to a Trinity in the traditional sense of the term.

The Question is, the Son is shown as the Saviour (from Satan, Sin and
Death), BUT Milton really doesn't attach a great importance to the
cross of Jesus, not even in PL 12; he nearly skips the subject.

On the other hand, in PL 7.551-553 the poet dares reuse some famous
verses by St. Paul about the cross, I Corinthians 1.18-25, as a
_wrong_ statement by Adam about _Eve_!

All higher knowledge in her presence falls
Degraded, wisdom in discourse with her
Loses discount'nanced, and like folly shows...