[Milton-L] Satan and Resentment

Michelle Zappa michelleazappa at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 19:49:43 EST 2011

On the subject of contingent beings, the eternal Christian God, and Milton's
resentful Satan: what of the Son? The common view of the Biblical Christ as
fully God, a part of an everlasting triune Godhead, suggests that we
consider the Son in the same way as the Father - a being who exists without
beginning or end, and who is therefore above the human understanding of
"being". However, the Son for Milton, whilst of equal substance to God the
Father, was nevertheless created; the Son has a beginning.

The Son, as we encounter him in *Paradise Lost,* creates something of an
ontological paradox. If Satan's primary motive for evil is resentment of
God's favouritism of the Son, then it is the creation (and subsequent
favouritism) of the Son that gives life to evil. Conversely, without the
angels' fall, the Son would not be able to fulfil the task of salvation that
he is solely able to carry out. The Son, although God, is as much a
contingent being as Satan.

Shell Z