[Milton-L] Satan and Resentment

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 29 18:19:40 EST 2011

Jim Rovira wrote:

"Existence is not an attribute of a thing like color and extension: e.g. The car
is blue. 'Car' is the subject of this sentence and 'blue' is the predicate. You
would not say, 'the car exists,' however, and make any sense, because you assume
that the car exists by talking about the car to begin with. Existence is assumed
by the
subject of the sentence so does not belong in the predicate."

Jeffery Hodges wonders:

Jim, might you need to refine this point? Surely we can speak of blue cars that
do not exist. Or I might insist that the blue car that I'm referring to is not
imaginary, that it does exist.

Jeffery Hodges