[Milton-L] Satan and Resentment

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 28 19:49:27 EST 2011

Interesting ideas, Terrance, but I'm not sure that Anselm's ontological argument
works for any but the most perfect being. If Satan exists, then as a contingent
being, he need not exist in all possible worlds, but in whatever worlds he has
existence, then I would agree that he would have to be playing a role in the
larger purposes of the most perfect being, i.e., God.

But that throat-clearing out of the way, I would argue that large-scale
resentment motivates Satan. He resents what he feels as a personal impairment to
him in the elevation of the Son.

Interestingly, however -- if my checking is correct -- Milton only one time uses
the term "resent" (and never uses "resentment"), and only with respect to Adam
and Eve in their unfallen state early in Book 9. I'm not certain what to make of
that. One would expect an important theme to be thematized.

Perhaps it's because the terms resent and resentment only came into use in
English in the 1600s:

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=resent&searchmode=none

Still, it looks to me that resentment motivates Satan even if the term is
missing.

Jeffery Hodges

PS My old alma mater, Baylor University is having a King James Bible conference
April 7-9, 2011, as I just found out.

http://www.isreligion.org/events/400-years-of-the-king-james-bible/