[Milton-L] Satan and Resentment

Terrance Lindall tlindall at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 17:52:20 EST 2011

I do not think that mere small-minded resentment compels Satan. Nor did it
guide Captain Ahab and Captain Nemo. It is a larger than life necessary
madness in fulfilling their destinies as to what they are as great spiritual
types.  Satan is fulfilling his required task in the scheme of God’s
creation. Satan was a necessity in God’s creation. Just as St. Anselm’s
ontological argument proves a priori the necessary existence of God, so it
also proves the necessary existence of Satan as the perfect antithesis, as a
perfect idea. All perfect ideas are in the mind of God. I think that Milton
understands this and embellishes Satan’s character with great attributes of
nobility, good qualities in and of themselves used ironically in subverting
the good works of God...a kind f ultimate evil! All this is necessary in the
permutations and combinations of possibility becoming actuality until this
universe plays itself out perfectly…in the Mind of God. All quite remarkable
and inspiring to think about…