[Milton-L] KJV in NYTimes

Hannibal Hamlin hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 10:05:43 EST 2011

E-sword looks intriguing, but it obviously requires a download. Since one
can't see which Bibles are available without downloading, can you  help us
out? You mention the Geneva notes, but does it have the Geneva text (and
which text, which notes?). I assume it has KJV, but what about other early
Bibles? Douai-Rheims? Tyndale? Coverdale? Bishops? The rockhay.org site does
have links to these. It would be immensely useful if someone were able to
review these various online Bible sites, checking texts, editions, and
formats, as well as other user issues. As editor of *Reformation*, let me
issue an invitation to anyone who might be interested in doing such a review
article, either with an early modern focus or a scope even broader. I'd be
most happy to publish it, since I think it would be valuable for scholars in
any number of fields.

Since others have extended their recommendations to secondary works, perhaps
I'll chime in. There's a long history of books on the English Bible, and for
my money most of them are fairly dull reading, reiterating the same
relatively unanalysed history of the major Bibles from Tyndale (or perhaps
Wycliffe) through King James and then hitting the modern milestones: RV,
ASV, RSV, NEB, etc. For this history, David Daniell's *The Bible in
English*is surely the best, most comprehensive, with a couple of
reservations. The
first is that his history shows signs of the progressivist fallacy (a la
Butterworth), given his zeal for Tyndale and his obvious Protestant bias.
Some filtering is required. The other is that his scope is so broad, really
beyond the reasonable expertise of any single scholar, that there are some
errors. But this is probably true even of narrower studies.

Two other authors are, I think, essential for anyone studying the Bible in
English: Gerald Hammond and David Norton. Hammond is a scholar who made a
frustratingly brief foray into the field of biblical studies, but the result
-- *The Making of the English Bible* -- is far and away the best book of its
kind. Rather than rehashing the same old history, Hammond really digs into
details of translation, revealing the principles underlying different early
(and modern) English Bibles, and assessing in a smart, balanced manner their
merits and demerits based on careful close-reading of the texts. You can get
a taste of this in his brief chapter in the Alter/Kermode* Literary Guide*.
The one thing about the book that seems dated is the animus against the 1970
New English Bible, which seems to have been at least part of the motivation
for Hammond's study. The criticism of NEB seems justified, and is backed up
by meticulous analysis, but at this point it seems a bit like flogging a
dead horse. (Though the failings of the NEB have if anything only
intensified in many more recent "dynamic equivalence" translations.) David
Norton probably knows more about the KJV than anyone living. His *Textual
History of the King James Bible* (published as a companion to his New
Cambridge Paragraph Bible) is essential and unparalleled. Norton's
earlier*History of the Bible as Literature
* (initially published in two volumes, then condensed to a single paperback)
is equally essential, especially for those of us who teach "The Bible as
Lit" courses. It's a valuable corrective against the uninformed accolades
usually loaded on the KJV -- "the noblest composition in the universe," as
one groupie put it.

Hannibal

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 3:16 PM, C Gribben
<crawford.gribben at googlemail.com>wrote:

>  e-Sword is the best of the current free equivalents, I think, and has
> Calvin, the Geneva Bible notes, and the usual translations and search
> options, as well as a host of other useful things: www.e-sword.net

Hannibal Hamlin
Associate Professor of English
Editor, Reformation
Organizer, The King James Bible and its Cultural Afterlife
http://kingjamesbible.osu.edu/
The Ohio State University
164 West 17th Ave., 421 Denney Hall
Columbus, OH 43210-1340