[Milton-L] KJV in NYTimes

Nancy Charlton nbcharlton at comcast.net
Tue Jan 11 13:46:45 EST 2011

Dear Mitch et al.,

Go to greatsite.com

This is a vendor who brokers the sale and purchase of genuine
historical bibles and related works.  They say the last real 1611
KJV to come up for auction went for $440,000. However, you can do
much better than that with a facsimile reproductions.  They offer
three different facsimile 1611 KJVs, the top one being a
specially bound 400th anniversary 17" pulpit size for about
$1,500, a lesser 17", and an 11" plain-bound for a mere $179 or
so. It's perhaps wacky, but I get a frisson of emotion just
looking at the reproduction the first page of Genesis 1 on this
site.  To own one of these reproductions must be something else.

They offer many other facsimiles, including a facsimile of the
first 18th c. printing of a 1378 Wycliffe (or a real Wycliffe for
upwards of $2 million) several Tyndales and Coverdales, the
Geneva, the Great, the Bishops, original Gutenberg, and lots
more.  They even have a reproduction of Foxe's Book of Martyrs.

Greatsite also has abundant illustrations and a historical essay
for general audiences, and this could be a useful resource in
teaching. Alas, no Milton, except Paradise Lost on a set of 22
CD-ROMs that includes a real, scanned-in 1611 KJV pulpit Bible,
the McGuffey Readers, Pilgrim's Progress, 1911 Encyclopedia
Britannica and a lot more, all for $195.

Still,  for practical use Gordon Campbell's new edition sounds
like a nice trade-off of authenticity and readability, and at
around $60 one couldn't do better. I'm going down to Powell's
Books later today and if they have the Campbell I'll savesave a
shipping charge. Of course I could phone, but what an excuse to
go to my favorite Portland hangout!

I rely on Blueletterbible.com for much reference material.  Their
Strong's is linked to the Gesenius and Thayer lexicons, and they
offer several modern translations, the Vulgate, the Reina Valera,
and Greek and Hebrew authoritative manuscripts. Conspicuously
absent are the Moffat and New English Bible translations, but one
_can_ use a book now and then!

Nancy Charlton
Beaverton OR