[Milton-L] KJV in NYTimes

Samuel Smith ssmith at messiah.edu
Tue Jan 11 12:18:26 EST 2011

Just to note that the other editor for the Oxford World's Classics KJV was Robert (not David) Carroll.  He was an Irishman who lived most of his life in Glasgow (teaching at the University), with a profound sense of irony and a scintillating, sarcastic wit, a Hebrew Bible scholar (especially the Book of Jeremiah) who also wrote a superb little book titled "The Wolf in the Sheepfold" (in the US the title is "The Bible as a Problem for Christianity").  This hardly does him justice, but seeing him mis-named prompted memories of a treasured friend.

Samuel Smith

>>> Hannibal Hamlin  01/11/11 12:00 PM >>>
Dear Mitch,

I think Lloyd Berry's is still the standard facsimile for the Geneva, and it's been reissued quite cheaply. For the KJV, I've been teaching from the World's Classics, edited by Stephen Prickett and David Carroll. Another excellent option, though, is the Penguin, edited by David Norton. The Oxford text is the modern standard -- based on the 1769 edition of Benjamin Blayney. Norton's is a different text, both more authentic and less, in different ways: it returns to the 1611 text, but it presents it in paragraph format (based on Norton's New Cambridge Paragraph Bible). The format is really quite illuminating, especially for the narrative books, since these can now be read without the continuous interruption of verse breaks. On the other hand, those breaks were part of the 1611 text, so this is in effect the original KJV text with a format more like Tyndale or Coverdale (verses came in with Geneva). Gordon Campbell has a new anniversary edition of the KJV for Oxford that I haven't seen. It will be worth checking. There's also an odd volume of selected bits and pieces from Longman, King James's Bible, edited by W.H. Stevenson. The selection allows for more annotation, perhaps, but it's idiosyncratic and thus of limited use. The title is bizarre; this Bible was "King James's" only in the sense that he sanctioned it's production - he was otherwise uninvolved, and the Bible's long religious, cultural, literary influence certainly has little if anything to do with him. Also notable among recent publications is the Vulgate being issued in the Dumbarton Oaks Medieval Library. It's great to have a good edition of the Vulgate, but what's especially valuable is that Douay-Rheims is printed on the facing pages. The first volume (Pentateuch) is now out, edited by Swift Edgar. For Tyndale, the only options I'm aware of are the Yale modern spelling editions of David Daniell.

There are also, of course, online texts of many early Bibles, especially the KJV, though I haven't checked these for accuracy or base texts. www.biblos.com is one clearing house for translations all over the web, but perhaps even better is http://www.rockhay.org/worship/translat.htm, which includes the KJV, Geneva, Douay-Rheims, even Bishops', Tyndale, and Wycliffe. As I say, though, I've no idea how reliable these various editions are.

Hannibal