[Milton-L] KJV in NYTimes

Hannibal Hamlin hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 11:58:25 EST 2011

Dear Mitch,

I think Lloyd Berry's is still the standard facsimile for the Geneva,
and it's been reissued quite cheaply. For the KJV, I've been teaching from
the World's Classics, edited by Stephen Prickett and David Carroll. Another
excellent option, though, is the Penguin, edited by David Norton. The Oxford
text is the modern standard -- based on the 1769 edition of Benjamin
Blayney. Norton's is a different text, both more authentic and less, in
different ways: it returns to the 1611 text, but it presents it in paragraph
format (based on Norton's New Cambridge Paragraph Bible). The format is
really quite illuminating, especially for the narrative books, since these
can now be read without the continuous interruption of verse breaks. On the
other hand, those breaks were part of the 1611 text, so this is in effect
the original KJV text with a format more like Tyndale or Coverdale (verses
came in with Geneva). Gordon Campbell has a new anniversary edition of the
KJV for Oxford that I haven't seen. It will be worth checking. There's also
an odd volume of selected bits and pieces from Longman, *King James's Bible,
* edited by W.H. Stevenson. The selection allows for more annotation,
perhaps, but it's idiosyncratic and thus of limited use. The title is
bizarre; this Bible was "King James's" only in the sense that he sanctioned
it's production - he was otherwise uninvolved, and the Bible's long
religious, cultural, literary influence certainly has little if anything to
do with him. Also notable among recent publications is the Vulgate being
issued in the Dumbarton Oaks Medieval Library. It's great to have a good
edition of the Vulgate, but what's especially valuable is that Douay-Rheims
is printed on the facing pages. The first volume (Pentateuch) is now out,
edited by Swift Edgar. For Tyndale, the only options I'm aware of are the
Yale modern spelling editions of David Daniell.

There are also, of course, online texts of many early Bibles, especially the
KJV, though I haven't checked these for accuracy or base texts.
www.biblos.com is one clearing house for translations all over the web, but
perhaps even better is http://www.rockhay.org/worship/translat.htm, which
includes the KJV, Geneva, Douay-Rheims, even Bishops', Tyndale, and
Wycliffe. As I say, though, I've no idea how reliable these various editions
are.

Hannibal

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Mitchell M. Harris <
mitchell.harris at augie.edu> wrote:

> Dear Jameela, Nancy, Hannibal, and others-
>
> Perhaps I will show my own ignorance here, but I would love to know what
> editions (scholarly, facsimile, etc.) each of you trusts with early modern
> Bibles. For example, which Tyndale do you use, which Geneva, which King
> James, which Bishops, etc.?
>
> I finally tired of walking over to the library every time I wanted to look
> at the Geneva edition and bought Lloyd Berry's facsimile edition of the 1560
> Geneva Bible. I'm wondering, however, if there are better editions out
> there, and I'd certainly like to know more about Tyndale, King James,
> Bishops, and the like.
>
> All the best,
>        Mitch Harris
>
> Mitchell M. Harris
> Assistant Professor
> Department of English
> Augustana College
> 2001 S. Summit Ave.
> Sioux Falls, SD 57197
> (605) 274-5297
> mitchell.harris at augie.edu
>
> "To stand inquiring right, is not to stray;
> To sleep, or run wrong, is."
>
>                                - John Donne
>

> On Jan 10, 2011, at 4:49 PM, Jameela Lares wrote:
>
> Nancy,
>>
>> I am happy to see any discussion of the KJV in this its 400th year, as I
>> am starting a Ph.D. seminar next week on Milton, Bunyan, and the King James
>> Bible.
>>
>> In the past for such classes, I have used F. F. Bruce's History of the
>> Bible in English (Lutterworth, 2003), though this year I am using a trade
>> book written by a Miltonist, Gordon Campbell's readable Bible: The Story of
>> the King James Version, 1611-2011.  The UK amazon site has an entertaining
>> video of of the author:
>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bible-Story-James-Version-1611-2011/dp/0199557594/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294699561&sr=1-1
>> .
>>
>> I'll be having the students each choose a book and an article to report
>> on.  I've already attached my selected bibliography to the syllabus, but if
>> anyone wants to list a favorite title, I'm all ears.
>>
>> Jameela Lares
>> Professor of English
>> The University of Southern Mississippi
>> 118 College Drive, #5037
>> Hattiesburg, MS  39406-0001
>> 601 266-4319 ofc
>> 601 266-5757 fax

Hannibal Hamlin
Associate Professor of English
Editor, Reformation
Organizer, The King James Bible and its Cultural Afterlife
http://kingjamesbible.osu.edu/
The Ohio State University
164 West 17th Ave., 421 Denney Hall
Columbus, OH 43210-1340