[Milton-L] KJV in NYTimes

Jameela Lares Jameela.Lares at usm.edu
Mon Jan 10 17:49:28 EST 2011

Nancy,

I am happy to see any discussion of the KJV in this its 400th year, as I am starting a Ph.D. seminar next week on Milton, Bunyan, and the King James Bible.

In the past for such classes, I have used F. F. Bruce's History of the Bible in English (Lutterworth, 2003), though this year I am using a trade book written by a Miltonist, Gordon Campbell's readable Bible: The Story of the King James Version, 1611-2011.  The UK amazon site has an entertaining video of of the author: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bible-Story-James-Version-1611-2011/dp/0199557594/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294699561&sr=1-1.

I'll be having the students each choose a book and an article to report on.  I've already attached my selected bibliography to the syllabus, but if anyone wants to list a favorite title, I'm all ears.

Jameela Lares
Professor of English
The University of Southern Mississippi
118 College Drive, #5037