[Milton-L] Photographer Vivian Maier, a Developing Mystery

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 10 13:43:16 EST 2011

This has nothing to do with Milton, so I apologize, but it does raise questions
about epic undertakings, the nature of greatness, and the meaning of a life.
It's the story of a nanny who worked in Chicago and took more than 100,000
photographs over the course of her life. Here's what Jeff Goldstein has to say
at his website dedicated to her artistic work:

http://vivianmaierphotography.com/

Driven by her sequestered, private motivations, Vivian Maier captured our
cities, suburbs and rural towns. A nanny for many years, herself childless,
Maier revealed the beauties and complexities of domesticity. Her photographs
demonstrate an intimate exploration of family life, as well as seemingly
allegorical treatments of "home" -- a space sometimes idyllic and whole, and
sometimes troubled -- as in her photographs of homes destroyed by tornadoes or
street riots. In this present collection, we witness her sophisticated,
expansive approach to setting and subject matter both intimate and grand. The
photographic subjects range from Salvador Dali to Nixon; from poignant
self-portraits to photos of the unnamed on the street. She documented the
exhilaration of Macy's parades, along with the quiet of cemeteries, scenes of
road kill, the life of flowers and her worldwide travels. In addition to Europe
and the United States, those travels included places as diverse as Egypt,
Malaysia, the Philippines and more.

Mr. Goldstein has over 12,000 of Ms. Maier's negatives, but John Maloof has more
than 100,000:

http://vivianmaier.blogspot.com/

I, of course, blogged about her, for whatever that might be worth:

http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/2011/01/mystery-of-vivian-maier-photographer.html

Again, apologies for this extraneous post, but perhaps some individuals will
find the material interesting.

Jeffery Hodges