[Milton-L] Beauty dissertation (was "no subject?)

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 6 01:31:31 EST 2011

This topic of beauty and its opposite, 'ugliness', also interests me. I think
that when sin enters the Garden through the Fall, this moral decline is
reflected in a loss of beauty, but I would be interested in citations that
indicate ways in which Paradise is losing its beauty. Can anyone supply
particular passages from Paradise Lost that illustrate the loss of beauty?

One example would be the loss of perfectly centered, constantly uniform,
circular motion in the heavens when the celestial orbits are altered by angels
as punishment (PL 10.651f), but there must also be examples in which the loss of
beauty occurs more directly. The distempered flush in Eve's cheeks suggests a
loss of true beauty as the direct effect of sin itself (PL 9.887).

What other passages can be cited?

Jeffery Hodges