***PRIVATE*** Re: [Milton-L] Beauty dissertation (was "no subject?)

Carol Barton cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 5 09:54:02 EST 2011

Tony, I can't recall a specific aesthetic of beauty, but additive to our earlier discussion, you might want to recommend that she read Doctrine and Discipline of Divorce, where he does define (and gloriously) his vision of true marriage. To my mind, the kind of devotion he describes is part of what makes Adam subordinate God's will to his love for Eve; the problem is that, because passion is also an out-of-proportion factor, instead of raising his eyes heavenward, his "uxoriousness" takes his vision from God's face to  . . . more terrestrial things.

All best,

Carol