[Milton-L] Beauty dissertation (was "no subject?)

Andrew Herpich andrew.herpich at flinders.edu.au
Tue Jan 4 17:05:38 EST 2011

Tony,

It is an interesting topic, but any theory that makes anything other than Eve's and Adam's choices the 'cause' of the Fall is misdirection. One of the most notable things about the Genesis text is Eve's reasoning over the serpent's words; this is amplified in Paradise Lost. And Adam in PL chooses his love for Eve - not based on her physical beauty alone, as his exchange with Raphael in Book VIII demonstrates - over obedience to God. Nevertheless, for that reason, any topic that puts the focus on Adam and Eve's love is a worthy one.

Andrew Herpich.