[Milton-L] Beauty dissertation (was "no subject?)

Jameela Lares Jameela.Lares at usm.edu
Tue Jan 4 13:26:56 EST 2011

Tony,

I am glad you are encouraging your student in what may indeed be a compelling topic.

There is, of course, the standard Neoplatonic stuff about beauty being the first rung on the ladder of Diotima.  (Cf. Spenser's Fowre Hymnes.)  I'm away from my library but could supply some titles later, always with the caveat that Neoplatonism works best during halcyon periods free of controversy.

Jameela Lares
Professor of English
The University of Southern Mississippi
118 College Drive, #5037