[Milton-L] (no subject)

Salwa Khoddam skhoddam at cox.net
Tue Jan 4 01:12:43 EST 2011

Professor Demarest,
I'm sure you have Diane Kelsey McColley's Milton's Eve (U of ILL P, 1983) on your list.  Aside from her exquisite analysis of Eve, McColley includes references in the endnotes that are very interesting and relevant to your student's topic, specifically Eve as a Venus or Diana figure.  Is she also an Acrasia figure as in Edmund Spenser's The Fairie Queene?  I think Eve's beauty is reflected in the excessive beauty of the garden, which brings up again the issue of physical beauty and its purpose in PL.
Best Wishes,
Salwa

Salwa Khoddam, Ph.D.
Professor of English, Emerita