[Milton-L] Final lines -- an observation

John Leonard jleonard at uwo.ca
Fri Feb 25 09:40:58 EST 2011

If 1932 is right, the date is interesting, for it precedes Eliot's dismissal of Milton's book eleven catalogue as "a solemn game."  Eliot's essay was published in 1935 (misdated 1936 when it first appeared).  I wonder whether Eliot was thinking of Auden (my initial response, when Hannibal mentioned Auden, was that Auden was thinking of Eliot).  But objections to Milton's catalogues go back at least as far as Johnson..