[Milton-L] Final lines -- an observation

Hannibal Hamlin hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 17:02:13 EST 2011

Someone I found very suggestive and useful when teaching The Iliad some
years back was Gregory Nagy. His *The Best of the Achaeans* is excellent,
and there's also *Homeric Questions*, which deals with questions like oral
tradition and myth. I'd also recommend a piece by W.H. Auden (not sure
where, off-hand -- perhaps in *The Dyer's Hand*? -- someone on the list will
know) in which he makes a wonderful case for relishing the catalogue of the
ships. He says something to the effect that to fail to appreciate this
catalogue is to miss something fundamental about Homer's aesthetic.

Hannibal

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Samuel Smith <SSmith at messiah.edu> wrote:

>  Tony and Jim,
>
> Both essays are available in a single volume published by the New York
> Review of Books, which includes a third essay on Bespaloff's reading by
> Hermann Broch.  "War and the Iliad," 2005.
>
> Samuel

> Jim-
>
> If you can, Simone Weil's essay on the *Iliad: a Poem of Force* is
> excellent for revealing a modern appeal; Rachel Bespaloff has written an
> essay which may in response to Weil's. Both done during WWII, I think.
>
> Tony
>
> ------------------------------
> Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 11:12:57 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Milton-L] Final lines -- an observation
> From: jamesrovira at gmail.com
> To: milton-l at lists.richmond.edu
>
> On a note related to our very interesting discussion of the Iliad: I'll be
> teaching the Iliad for the first time this coming Fall in a Comparative
> Mythology course.  Any suggestions for teaching it?  Suggestions for
> individual or group activities, recommended approaches, companion texts,
> other works to pair with it, etc., would all be appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Jim R

Hannibal Hamlin
Associate Professor of English
Editor, Reformation
Organizer, The King James Bible and its Cultural Afterlife
http://kingjamesbible.osu.edu/
The Ohio State University
164 West 17th Ave., 421 Denney Hall
Columbus, OH 43210-1340