[Milton-L] Final lines -- an observation

Mario A. DiCesare dicesare1 at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 23 23:11:52 EST 2011

  A couple of observations on both of these very perceptive comments.
Carrol, I think, strikes just the right note. The last book of the
/Iliad /-- which seems to me perhaps the most sublime composition in all
our western literature -- is about fathers and sons: Achilles' releasing
the body of Hector to his old father even while he knows he doesn't want
to do it, he no doubt wants to drag it around Troy all over again, is a
great compassionate action.  Achilles remembers his own old father, whom
he will never see again and who will never see him again, and he weeps
with Priam.

Whether the last line is a formula seems to me beside the point. Its
power does not depend on its being original in some way. What we know is
that after the days of mourning and burial, they will go back to
fighting again and to killing, the action that marks the /Iliad /above
all others. How men die, with dignity or not, and how they are killed,
honorably or not, matters immensely, in ways in which the variegated
killings in the /Odyssey/ or the mountains flung around in the War in
Heaven in /Paradise Lost/ simply do not.

Carrol's observation -- the immortal actors disappear as we approach the
close -- seems to me just right. The flaming sword or the murderous
Achilles may both be there, but distantly; the sadness of those who have
been defeated broods over the endings of both poems, as it does of the
/Aeneid/.  The epic poets honor the gods in many ways, but they know
that the fundamental difference between gods and men is that gods don't
have to cope with the reality of death and so their actions simply don't
have the weight and basic meaning that human actions do.

Mario DiCesare