[Milton-L] Gaze

Brendan Prawdzik brendanprawdzik at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 10:44:00 EST 2011

Hi John,

Happy to help.

For what it's worth, there are  of course other places, too.  Here's a note
of mine referring to scholarship on the complex gaze that initially lights
upon Adam and Eve in Book IV:

 “Milton has built into the architecture of the poem an eyebeam connecting
> the two episodes [Uriel gazing down upon Satan; Satan gazing upon Adam and
> Eve] … The direct line between Uriel’s discourse and the scene in the garden
> is disrupted by the intervention of several other narrative episodes or, in
> other terms, by the intervention of Satan and the satanic viewpoint”
> (Grossman, *Authors to Themselves*, 87). See also Lieb, “Paradisal Text,”
> and Fish, *Surprised by Sin*, 100-07.

We might add Nyquist, "Gendered Subjectivity."  Lenhoff, "Eve's Aural
Conception," may be considered for an interesting turn.

All the best,

Brendan