[Milton-L] "As by his Word . . ."

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Feb 16 20:30:50 EST 2011

Mitchell M. Harris

Very good questions, John.

> 1) Would Milton's contemporaries and predecessors have called him an
> Arian?

I would answer, yes, as well. However, the more I read, the more it
seems to me that "Arian" was a conventional epithet for "heretic." And
it seems that the word "Unitarian" doesn't yet exist in an operative
manner in Milton's day.

=====

If I remember C. Hill correctly, the word must have appeared soon after.
Hill refers to a man being hanged as a Unitarian in 1695. But it's been
years since I read Hill, and my eyesight is too far gone to try  browsing in
the index to check.

Carrol

P.S. The detail was part of Hill's rebuttal of some critic who had
questioned whether Milton would have had to fear the censorship.