[Milton-L] Mitonoclasts vs Miltonolatres

John Ulreich jcu at email.arizona.edu
Mon Feb 14 13:18:48 EST 2011

Larisa & Harold:
For what it's worth, the first (and almost the last) time I encountered
the word "Miltonolater" was in an essay by John Wain, the English
novelist and poet, entitled "Strength and Isolation: Pessimistic Notes
of a Miltonolater," in /The Living Milton/, edited by Frank Kermode
(London: Routledge & Kegan Paul, 1960).
I can't recall having encountered "Miltonoclast" before it was used in
/Re-membering/ Milton.

I think Bardolatry and Bibliolatry are rather useful coinages; are they
barbarisms?

John Ulreich

On 2/14/2011 7:40 AM, Zámbóné Kocic Larisa wrote:

> I think I should clarify my question. What I am interested in, is not
> the meaning or the etymology of the two expressions (my apology for
> asking „stem for”), but the origin, as in who used it first, if it is
> possible to know at all? An oral tradition infiltrating that of the
> written, sure, but can one pinpoint when this infiltration took place?
> The reason I ask this, is that in Remembering Milton, the expression
> (Miltonoclasts) is in inverted commas suggesting either a citation or
> a pejorative undertone. I wasn’t quite sure what to think of it, as
> both expression popped up quite liberally in publications on Milton,
> and was hoping that someone from this list could help me out.
> Curiosity killing the cat :)
>
> Bests,
>
> Larisa Kocic-Zambo

John C. Ulreich
Professor of English

Chair, Dean’s Advisory Committee

College of Humanities

Faculty Senator

(520) 621-5424

Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely

according to conscience, above all other liberties.

John Milton: /Areopagitica/