[Milton-L] Mitonoclasts vs Miltonolatres

Shoulson, Jeffrey jshoulson at mail.as.miami.edu
Mon Feb 14 11:36:42 EST 2011

My guess is that "Miltonolator" is a borrowing from G. B. Shaw's dismissive description of Shakespeare worshippers as Bardolators.  The editors of Re-Membering Milton may have had this term in mind when they invoked it for Milton. From there, the idea of a "Miltonoclast" doesn't seem all that much of a leap, especially given Milton's own predilections for iconoclasm.

Jeffrey

Jeffrey S. Shoulson, Ph. D.
Associate Professor of English and Judaic Studies
University of Miami
PO Box 248145
Coral Gables, FL 33124-4632

(o) 305-284-5596