[Milton-L] Mitonoclasts vs Miltonolatres

Zámbóné Kocic Larisa larisa at lit.u-szeged.hu
Mon Feb 14 09:40:14 EST 2011

I think I should clarify my question. What I am interested in, is not the
meaning or the etymology of the two expressions (my apology for asking "stem
for"), but the origin, as in who used it first, if it is possible to know at
all? An oral tradition infiltrating that of the written, sure, but can one
pinpoint  when this infiltration took place? The reason I ask this, is that
in Remembering Milton, the expression (Miltonoclasts) is in inverted commas
suggesting either a citation or a pejorative undertone. I wasn't quite sure
what to think of it, as both expression popped up quite liberally in
publications on Milton, and was hoping that someone from this list could
help me out. Curiosity killing the cat :)

Bests,

Larisa Kocic-Zambo