[Milton-L] "As by his Word . . ."

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 21:34:27 EST 2011

Yes, I'm sure that John Leonard's response is the direction to go.
Just to throw in my couple of cents:

"This day I have begot" is of course an echo of Psalm 2:7,

"I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my
Son; this day have I begotten thee."

Which is spoken of someone already living, a king of Israel.  It is
applied to Christ in Acts 13:33:

"God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath
raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou
art my Son, this day have I begotten thee."

and also in Rev. 1:5, specifically in reference to the resurrection --
it was by the resurrection that Christ was "begotten."

The same passage is used in Hebrews 5:5 to refer to Christ's
appointment as high priest.

So "begotten" does, Biblically, connote "appointment."  The
resurrection implies a kind of appointment as well, as it is a sign to
God's enemies of the pre-eminence of the Son, if we fully apply the
context of Psalm 2.  But it also seems to carry some implication of
change -- perhaps specifically applicable to the human existence of
Christ, as if Christ's humanity was elevated to co-equality with his
Divine nature via the resurrection, so begotten in that sense.

Jim R