[Milton-L] The TeaM: Chaos in my back yard

Dario Rivarossa dario.rivarossa at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 01:45:12 EST 2011

E de le due nature in sé discordi
E guerreggianti, la contesa e l’ira
Divide e parte, e lor congiunge in lega.

_____Torquato Tasso, Il Mondo Creato 3.715-717

Of two natures with each other discordant
And at war, the struggle and the wrath
Divides and parts and unites them as alloy.

In PL, verses like these would describe Chaos.
They here refer to matter in our world, instead: the struggle / alloy
between earth and water, and air, and fire. Whereas Milton depicts a
chaos outside universe, and a universe which organizes chaos, Tasso is
against the Greek doctrine of primordial atoms (followed by Milton),
but he shows our current world as made of BOTH order and disorder. Not
because our world is a post-lapsarian one, but because imperfection is
intrinsic to any created thing.
We will see, quite later, that there is anyway some sign of a
prelapsarian condition also in Il Mondo Creato.