[Milton-L] “The Gospel According to Milton Scholars”

Terrance Lindall tlindall at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 11:44:18 EST 2011

Dear Professor Jim R. and others,

I just want to let you know Jim that I actually appreciated our repartee. It
was not a waste of time as I indicated before. Actually, since you are a
scholar you deserve a bit more attention than I have given so far to your
notions of  “perfection” and “contingency,” etc.

I was also aware of ancillary discussions by noted scholar John Rumrich and
others on God being eternal etc.

So what I will do, rather than use this scattershot approach to the subject
on the list, address it in an essay. I will probably call it something like
“The Gospel According to Milton Scholars” or some such. It will be amusing
but serious, wherein I will reason it all out, probably quoting you and
others *verbatim* and then taking the propositions apart, pointing out
erroneous assumptions, if any, in those propositions, and Non Sequiturs* *in
your “proof,” if any, etc.

I will post this essay among my documents on-line and you can pick it apart
as you will, noting my bad grammar and mistakes in spelling (and you should
do that since that is your expertise). Everything begins with premises and
definitions and then we apply “rules of logic.”  We will see where it all
leads.  It should be fun. It will not be too cynical, I assure you.

The thing about these lists and blogs is that our thinking, good or bad, is
open for scrutiny world-wide, maybe for eternity, and other scholars and our
colleagues can access this. It is a frightening thought that one might say
something stupid or silly. Careers are at stake in some cases. What is said
might end up being the reason to appoint or not appoint. So, delicacy,
courtesy and respect should be exercised. I suspect that I myself have been
a sinner in this regard at times.

Most of my own thinking is not original but derives from the great thinkers
over the past 2500 plus years up through analytic philosophy. I have taken
what I consider to be their good arguments and applied them in my own
fashion.

And no, I do not think that you called me silly…directly.

Best Regards and Much Respect

Mr. (Master) Lindall