[Milton-L] Roger Williams

Nancy Charlton nbcharlton at comcast.net
Fri Dec 30 19:46:36 EST 2011

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/books/review/roger-williams-and-the-creation-of-the-american-soul-church-state-and-the-birth-of-liberty-by-john-m-barry-book-review.html?pagewanted=1&nl=books&emc=booksupdateema4

A long link to a NY Times review of John M. Barry, /Roger
Williams and the Creation of the American Soul. /The review
observes that the story of this titanic figure takes place more
in England than in the colonies. Apparently Barry gives much
attention to the religio-politico background of 17th century
England, and consequently such notables and Edward Coke figure
prominently.  So does John Milton.  Williams was a slightly older
and longer lived contemporary of Milton (1603-1683) and
befriended him during a sojourn in England.  Sarah Vowell notes
this, I believe, in /The Wordy Shipmates/.  I can't quote her
exactly, as I gave away my copy, but I think he is the one she
mentions as having traded tutoring in Latin for tutoring in Dutch.

The reviewer, Joyce Chaplin, seems to give the book mixed marks
but nevertheless feels that it is a worthwhile though incomplete
account.  Chaplin, it is noted, is also editor of the
just-published /Benjamin Franklin's Autobiography: A //Norton
Critical Edition.

/Nancy Charlton/
/