[Milton-L] Hodie

Nancy Charlton nbcharlton at comcast.net
Sat Dec 24 02:30:10 EST 2011

I just finished watching the annual Christmas concert from St
Olaf College on my local PBS station, one of the loveliest events
of the season for several years now.

The highlight of this one was a magnificent performance of "Ring
Out, Ye Crystal Spheres" from Ralph Vaughan Williams' oratorio
"Hodie".  The nine-fold symphony and Heav'n's deep organ were in
full force and melodious time with a huge massed choir and
orchestra that included some unusual percussion.  Unlike some
massed choirs, this one did not overwhelm by sheer body count but
delivered a deeply felt and splendidly executed reading of this
too-seldom performed music. And their diction was perfect: even
my deficient ears picked up all the words (though I suppose it
didn't hurt that I know the poem almost verbatim).

I don't know whether it is now online or will be, but it is
available on CD, DVD and Blu-Ray. It will be rebroadcast locally
sometime in the middle of a night. It's worth staying up for.

Tidings of comfort and joy ---

Nancy Charlton