[Milton-L] royal wedding music question

Gilliatt, Cynthia Ann - gilliaca gilliaca at jmu.edu
Fri Apr 29 16:20:21 EDT 2011

.
"The Parry hymn sets all the words of "Blest Pair of Sirens," but the more
familiar setting from Milton's ode is the final chorus from Handel's oratorio,
Samson, which sets only the lines in the middle, "Let the Bright Seraphim."  The
latter piece was sung by Kiri Te Kanawe at Prince Charles' and Diana's wedding
twenty years ago.  So we can say that Milton, the arch-republican, has been
twice favored at royal weddings!"

Thanks!  And I remember after the seremony Kiri Te Kanawe told an interviewer that it felt odd to sing with a hat on.