[Milton-L] royal wedding music question

srevard at siue.edu srevard at siue.edu
Fri Apr 29 13:46:40 EDT 2011

The Parry hymn sets all the words of "Blest Pair of Sirens," but the more
familiar setting from Milton's ode is the final chorus from Handel's oratorio,
Samson, which sets only the lines in the middle, "Let the Bright Seraphim."  The
latter piece was sung by Kiri Te Kanawe at Prince Charles' and Diana's wedding
twenty years ago.  So we can say that Milton, the arch-republican, has been
twice favored at royal weddings!

Stella Revard

Quoting John Leonard <jleonard at uwo.ca>:

> The words are Milton's (as everyone on this list will know), but the music
> is by the Victorian composer Parry.

music-listen-to-hymns-and-songs-online.html