Milton & Lilith AND Re: [Milton-L] NY Times Op-Ed piece by Ross Douthat

Qadir ghadir2005 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 15:19:48 EDT 2011

 Dear Professor Khoddam,
My whole point, which you seem to agree on, is that the allusion should not
be dismissed as a decorative, or even worse, a careless one. Likening,
explicitly or implicitly, Satan's consort to Adam's first wife is so strange
I cannot believe Milton, while knowing about it, decided to go with it
without intending the possible implications it might carry. What exactly
those implications might be or whether there are any other evidence that
supports this reading require another reading of the epic. But, given
Milton's encyclopedic knowledge, the connection seems pretty certain. It's
like catching one's sister and best-friend walking hand-in-hand down
Champs-Élysée under moonlight. (My apologies if I've gone too far.)

Dear Nancy,
I'm not sure whether you are looking for this. But there are some
discussions of Milton's hell and its influence on popular culture in *Milton
in Popular Culture*, published by Palgrave. Just by taking a look at the
Table of Contents, one can find the relevant chapters. The Introduction also
begins with a discussion of Woody Allen's quoting of the famous line,
"better to reign in hell, than serve in heaven," in his *Deconstructing
Harry*.

Qadir - Tehran