[Milton-L] Re: Re: Milton & Lilith

Qadir ghadir2005 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 02:50:31 EDT 2011

Dear Larisa,
Your point is surely interesting from the point of view of the history of
criticism. As for the allusion itself, I must say the reference to Hecate is
unmistakable, though the possibility of an alternative suggestion is indeed
intriguing.
By the way, I didn't see Fowler's formidable edition in your collection! He
glosses *Night-hag* as "Hecate, whose charms were used by Circe in her spell
against Scylla." Perhaps, that's why Milton thought of Hecate in the first
place: he thought of her the moment Scylla came to his mind. Still, there
remains the question whether Milton was aware of the Hecate/Lilith
association or not. I'd be surprised if he didn't.

I thank professor khoddam for her comment. I agree with her that we should
not so quickly load our imaginative guns and aim far. However, supposing
that Milton knew about the Hecate/Lilith association, I respectfully insist
there must be more to the allusion than she allows.

Qadir - Tehran