[Milton-L] Hecate (WAS: Milton & Lilith)

Zámbóné Kocic Larisa larisa at lit.u-szeged.hu
Sun Apr 24 04:48:39 EDT 2011

Dear Qadir!

In almost  all editions of Paradise Lost that I have collected so far
(Hughes, Lewalski, Kerrigan-Rumrich-Fallon, Fletcher, Raffael) there is a
note to 2.662 identifying the Night-Hag with Hecate in more or less detail
(except for Elledge).

It is, however, interesting to note how earlier editions like Newton's
(1750) and Hawkins' (1824) make no mention of it. Wonder when and why Hecate
crept in? I guess, Prof. Leonard will know all about this "intrusion" for he
is surveying and summarizing the most influential criticism written between
1667 and 1970 for a Milton Variorum edition.

Larisa Kocic-Zambo (Hungary)