[Milton-L] Re: Milton & Lilith

Salwa Khoddam skhoddam at cox.net
Fri Apr 22 00:25:59 EDT 2011

There are two links here between Milton's Sin and Lilith:  Milton compares Sin to a "Night-Hag" who, in the following lines, travels "in secret,. . . Lur'd with the smell of infant blood" (2. 662. 2-4).   In Babylonian mythology and Hebrew tradition Lilith is a female demon who appears at night, on the lookout for children, and she murders new-born babies.  There's something here, maybe not more than an example of Milton's knowledge of Middle Eastern mythology. In the following line, Milton links her with Nordic witches, the "Lapland Witches" (665).  A powerful example of his syncreticism.
Salwa

Salwa Khoddam, Ph.D.
Professor of English, Emerita
Oklahoma City University